Wireless Two-wire in the cloud
The SubStation™ is the perfect solution for difficult retrofitting situations or complex irrigation sites. The SubStation wirelessly connects to the industry-leading BaseStation 3200™ controller. This wireless connectivity means you can consolidate multiple existing controllers into a single BaseStation 3200 controller without running expensive wire across long distances. You can also establish new irrigation zones in areas separated from the main controller by obstacles such as driveways or parking lots.
SubStation RV (Remote Valve) is now available as an add-on to an existing 3200 system, giving you wireless access to every valve on your landscape, even in the most remote locations. Once connected to a BaseStation 3200, the SubStation RV brings the power of the 3200 to all parts of your site and picks up hard-to-reach valves without excessive trenching. Learn more about SubStation RV here.
After the SubStation is connected to a BaseStation in the cloud (or by local area network), you can program the devices connected to the SubStation from any location. With Baseline’s SubStation, you can bring the latest in smart irrigation technology to any conventional wire or two-wire site. Whether you are combining multiple small irrigation controllers into one controller or adding the ability to manage flow and incorporate soil moisture sensors, the SubStation makes it easy.
A single BaseStation 3200 can wirelessly connect to 8 separate SubStations simultaneously. When connected, the SubStations and the BaseStation 3200 can manage up to 200 zones. This functionality greatly enhances the ability of Baseline’s dynamic technology to consolidate irrigation systems with multiple controllers. For example, instead of using 9 individual controllers to manage a site, use one BaseStation 3200 controller connected to SubStations. This allows you to manage the entire site from one controller saving you considerable time and money.
Each SubStation supports up to 100 zones in any combination of two-wire and conventional wire. The SubStation is also compatible with all Baseline two-wire devices.
The SubStation RV provides wireless remote valve control and allows you to add up to 6 hard-to-reach irrigation valves to an existing Baseline system. Once connected to a BaseStation 3200, the SubStation RV brings the power of the 3200 to all parts of your site and allows access to hard-to-reach valves without excessive trenching. Using SubStation RV allows you to eliminate dependency on battery-operated devices and bring alerts, diagnostics, and advanced programming to the most remote valves on your site.
Note: The BaseStation 3200 has 8 available addresses for TCP/IP-based performance components. Each SubStation connection uses one of these addresses. Baseline’s FlowStation and the Munro Pump Station also use these addresses.
- Makes retrofitting an older system simple and efficient
- Provides access to areas where two-wire doesn’t easily reach
- Allows for optimal site scaling and growth
- Consolidates multiple small controllers into one
- Functions as a two-wire extender
- Engineered to use TCP/IP-based communication
SubStation Display Features
- High contrast 3.25” backlit mono LCD screen
- Screen resolution 128×64 pixels
- Screen LCD brightness of 250 lumens for easy viewing in direct sunlight
- Supports up to 100 zones in any combination of two-wire and conventional wire
- Normally open or normally closed master valves and pump starts are included in the zone count.
- Supports up to 20 biSensor soil moisture sensors
- Supports up to 3 separate normally closed or normally open pause or event devices—each device can be used to control per-program start, stop or pause behavior
- Supports up to 3 flow sensors or meters
- Supports up to 3 temperature sensors
- Supports Baseline’s documented two-wire run lengths. See Baseline’s Two-Wire Technical Specification for details.
- Provides a simple interface for networking setup
- Displays status of devices and the connected BaseStation 3200
SubStation RV Features
- Supports up to 6 conventionally-wired zones (24 VAC)
- Provides diagnostic LEDs for simple installation and troubleshooting
- Displays status of device and the connected status of the BaseStation 3200
- “Cloud-display” offers controller-like display accessible in BaseManager
- Supports up to 1,500 feet of wire-path
- High-speed LTE cellular communication
- NEMA 6P (IP68) waterproof lockable enclosure
- Supports firmware updates over the air
BaseStation 3200 Features
- The BaseStation 3200 has 8 available addresses for TCP/IP-based performance components. Each SubStation connection uses one of these addresses.
- Total device counts, including the devices connected to all SubStations must remain within the BaseStation 3200 specifications
- SubStation devices that exceed the BaseStation 3200 limits are ignored.
- All search and assign operations for SubStation devices are performed from the BaseStation 3200 or from BaseManager.
- All programming operations for SubStation devices are performed from the BaseStation 3200 or from BaseManager.
- All test operations for SubStation devices are performed from the BaseStation 3200 or from BaseManager.
- Displays status of the SubStation connection and reports the number of each type of device from last search
- For SubStation compatibility, ensure that the BaseStation 3200 is running firmware version 12.32 or greater.
- The SubStation communicates with a BaseStation 3200 irrigation controller over a wired or wireless TCP/IP-based connection.
- The SubStation must be connected to the same subnet as the BaseStation 3200.
- A SubStation is assigned to the BaseStation 3200 by programming the IP address of the SubStation into the controller.
- The SubStation can be assigned a static IP address or it can operate in DHCP mode.
- Choose the strategy that will ensure the most stable connection between the SubStation and the BaseStation 3200.
- Every SubStation has a built-in Ethernet port. No additional hardware is required for Ethernet-based communication.
Wi-Fi Communication Modules
- The SubStation is compatible with Baseline’s Wi-Fi module.
Ethernet Radio (Spread Spectrum) Communication Modules
- The SubStation is compatible with Baseline’s Ethernet Radio modules
- Every Ethernet radio configuration requires at least one radio that is configured as a gateway. The BL-ER-C is an Ethernet radio in a “C” series enclosure with factory default settings as a gateway. It can also be configured as a repeater. One repeater may be inserted between a gateway and endpoint if required.
- When there are multiple devices that require an Ethernet connection, an Ethernet switch should be specified along with the BaseStation 3200 or the SubStation. To determine whether an Ethernet switch is required, count the number of devices in an enclosure that have an Ethernet Port. If more than one device has an Ethernet port and only one Ethernet connection is available, an Ethernet switch is required. The SubStation, BaseStation 3200 controllers, Ethernet Radios, and Wi-Fi modules all have Ethernet ports.
Information Security Controls
The SubStation includes information security controls that enable secure networking with other Baseline products.
To learn more about the SubStation security controls, refer to the Baseline Security Controls Technical Specification.
- Requires 120 VAC, 50 Hz to 60 Hz and a minimum of a 5 amp breaker
- Requires a certified electrician for hard-wire installation
- Station Output: 30 VAC RMS over two-wire
- Supports up to 1.45 amp output
- The controller powers down the two-wire after one minute of idle time
- Drive current to a decoder is 100 to 250 milliamps (depending on the solenoid)
- Supports up to 110 device loads on a two-wire path
- 1, 2, and 4 station biCoders = 1/2 load
- 12 to 24 station Powered biCoder = 2 loads
- Soil Moisture Sensor = 1 load
- Flow biCoder or Flow Sensor = 3 loads
- Requires a typical solenoid with approximately 400 milliamps of inrush current and approximately 200 milliamps holding current
- 10 levels of surge protection
- Up to 5 levels of surge protection built into the controller boards
- Minimum surge response time of 1 picosecond
“X” Cabinet—Wall Mount Enclosure
- Dimensions: 15.50” x 12.38” x 6.40”
- 16 Gauge, powder-coated
“XS” Cabinet—Wall Mount Enclosure
- Dimensions: 15.50” x 12.38” x 6.40”
- 16 Gauge, 304-grade stainless steel
“P” Pedestal Enclosure
- Dimensions: 17.38” x 36.25” x 12.63”
- 16 Gauge, 304-grade stainless steel